200h Yoga Teacher Training in Croatia
Embrace Your Passion And Find Your Purpose
24 May - 19 June 2020
25 Aug - 20 Sep 2020
Find New Meaning in Life.
Discover Your Dharma.
Be One With Nature.
Expect to discover new realms beyond your limited sense of self and find a love and joy never felt before.
Expect an adventurous journey into your inner being.
As summer begins and ends in this incredibly pure and uplifting atmosphere of an ancient, yet pristine island of the Adriatic Sea, it is the perfect time to find connection with your inner Self, with nature and fellow yogis.
More than 300 dolphins have found their home in the sacred waters washing around the shores of this island, inviting you to discover your own depth and connect to the pure Self within. This 26-day adventure will allow you to step into a space of support and self-discovery, so you may leave empowered to express your true inner voice, so you can return home with skills and techniques that will continue to inspire and develop your body, mind, soul and emotions. It will prepare you for a fulfilling life of passion and purpose.
Join Us For An Unforgettable Experience of a Lifetime
We have carefully selected the isle of Losinj for our yoga instructor training courses, as it has become a well-known climate resort worldwide, particularly famous for its asthma- and allergy-curing properties. An ideal place to restore perfect health, the most fundamental prerequisite for the practice of yoga.
This course brings the age-old wisdom and authentic science of yoga to an enchanting island in the Adriatic, thereby combining the intuitional science of the East with the charm and powerful pranic energies of the Mediterranean Adria.
A unique feature of our training is our approach to asana practice: The asanas are practiced and taught in the Rajadhiraja tradition of Tantra yoga, offering ancient knowledge on the deeply transformational effect of asanas with regards to our hormonal and chakra system - rarely taught in other yoga schools. You will learn how you can balance your endocrine glands, your hormones, your chakras and your emotions in order to experience a profound sense of well-being and happiness. You will receive detailed insight into the practice of more than 60 asanas, along with an in depth understanding of good alignment, benefits, contraindications, hands-on-adjustments and special applications. You will also learn how to use these asanas in a variety of yoga styles, such as Hatha, Vinyasa and Yin yoga.
Another unique feature is lifelong personalized mentoring offered by Ganga Devi, the principal teacher on this course, to those who wish to receive guidance after the completion of their training. Ganga has taught and practiced yoga and meditation for more than thirty years. She has also trained and performed as a professional dancer of Bharatanatyam – the classical dance of India. Her philosophy classes are captivating and fascinating, as she skillfully simplifies complex subjects, teaching them in an down-to-Earth manner, while weaving in personal experience and storytelling.
She passionately uses her special gift of bringing people together in ceremony to connect, sing, dance, heal and release. With her intricate knowledge about the use of breath she skilfully uses a unique system of breathing and breath retention when adapting yoga as a therapy for body, mind and soul.
Ganga is also a talented musician and nada yogini (sound healer), sharing bhajans, kirtan and Indian raga music to complement the deeply transformational work she undertakes on each of the 200h programmes. In addition she offers personalized instruction in meditation and an individually tailored daily yoga routine for you to take back home and continue your yoga journey with a unique set of asanas and other techniques, adapted to your specific needs.
The Himalayan Yoga Institute offers an authentic, all-encompassing approach to yoga. While providing a thorough training in asana, pranayama, mudra, bandha and kriya it probes beyond mere physical practice into the realm of higher yoga and meditation. Most importantly you will come away with a broad palette of tools and skills to develop yourself as a yogi/ni and to teach others with confidence and competence.
Highlights of the 200h Yoga Teacher Traning
- We maintain small class sizes for maximum personalized attention.
- At the end of the training you will be centred, calm, superbly inspired, beaming with joy and empowered to skilfully guide others into the sacred landscape of their bodies, minds, and hearts, and teach powerful, uplifting, and intelligent classes infused with joy.
- International 200hour Yoga Alliance certification
- Eat delicious vegetarian meals and fresh teas sourced from our organic gardens
- Connect with your Inner Self while spending time in the lush tropical garden filled with birdsong, resting on your terrace, the nearby beach or swimming in the crystal-clear waters of the Adriatic Sea
- Practice yoga in beautiful natural indoor and outdoor spaces surrounded by Mediterranean and subtropical plants and trees with stunning views of nature
- Shop for beautiful handmade handicrafts and herbal products produced from by local craftsmen/women.
- Receive personalized instruction in meditation and receive a daily routine of asana prescription individually tailored just for you, that will allow you to advance your practice
- Learn the secrets of Tantric Rajadhiraja yoga, a long forgotten, yet highly powerful approach to yoga, which will completely rewire your body, clear your mind and awaken your soul
- Our yoga instructor certification courses are of outstanding quality, marked by excellence and attention to detail. They are the most thorough and comprehensive ones you will find
- You will start practicing and learning how to teach asanas from day 1 of the training
- The intensive daily schedule includes two meditation sessions (satsang with kirtan and chants), two yoga classes, in depth study of yoga postures, two lectures and workshops. One day a week is lecture-free.
- The training is not only suitable for aspiring yoga teachers but also for those who simply want to learn more about yoga and develop a stronger self-practice
- There is limited space on all our courses.
When choosing a yoga certification programme make sure that plenty of time is given to developing your teaching skills. On our yoga teacher training courses you will be provided with the opportunity to teach single asanas from day two and you will teach classes very early on into the course. You will be given insight into how to give verbal cues, how to demonstrate, observe and correct students with hands-on adjustments.
Island of Losinj
The island of Losinj is the home of playful dolphins, pine forests, promenades, a profusion of fragrances and flavours. Its beauty will cast a spell on you whatever the season. Losinj is the habitat of a large group of bottlenose dolphins in the Northern Adriatic, which is indicative of an exceptional level of purity of the sea.
A bewitching fusion of centuries-old pine forests and sea, Losinj is the ideal place for restoring the body and mind. This has been known from time immemorial.
Losinj is one of the islands in Croatia belonging to the Cres-Losinj archipelago in the Kvarner Bay and with its 36 islands, islets and reefs, it is the largest group of islands in the Adriatic. Owing to its exceptional climatic features, already way back in 1892, it was proclaimed a health resort. A well-preserved natural environment is a unique feature of the island; clean water and air, a mild climate, the diverse vegetation and aromatic scents have a deeply beneficial effect on everyone.
The three and a half weeks I spent in Mali Losinj, Croatia engaging in YTT with Ganga Devi was a truly wonderful experience and one I will never forget. The twice-daily meditation and asana practice were a dream come true for me (and are practices I continue in my daily life now). I also really enjoyed Ganga’s lectures on Yoga philosophy, Ayurveda and Yogic diet (to name just a few of the topics) and the breadth of knowledge that was passed on in the YTT was truly astounding. The overall experience was truly authentic and Ganga was a wonderfully warm and inspiring teacher. I am incredibly grateful for the knowledge and experience that was passed onto me during the course and which now enables me to become the Yoga teacher that I’ve dreamt of becoming.
Triona Gibbons, Kilbarry Fermoy Co. Cork, Ireland
“I was thoroughly challenged by the course and enthralled with all the information I received. I learnt about teaching asana which was my initial goal but I got so much knowledge of yogic philosophy, diet, health, tips to being a successful yoga instructor and information on anatomy also. I left the course feeling like I could now be a yoga teacher and taught my first class the next day in a hostel. It was a wonderful life changing experience and having it with only 8 people makes it intimate and thorough. Ganga is undeniably so very knowledgeable and passionate about all the elements of yoga. She inspired me to do so much more with yoga in the form of meditation and taught me a style of yoga which benefited my soul, mind and body. Having spoken to other people who took other intensive courses, I believe this one to be a cut above the rest, I would strongly recommend it to those who are looking for more than just asana teaching.”
Helen O'Shea, Milton Keynes, UK
"Everything about this course, from start to finish was wonderful: the cute room, the wonderful roommate. I felt at home. The food was fresh, tasty and very appetizing. The location was a joy, clean air and a beautiful sea view, so green. It really calmed my mind. The philosophy classes taught by Ganga were incredibly interesting and wonderfully inspiring. The asana teaching classes gave me confidence and self-esteem and I enjoyed every minute of it. The workshops were a great opportunity to be playful and to laugh with Ganga – so much fun. I loved every minute of the course and I really do feel that we are now family. I am overjoyed that I decided to do this course. It’s the best, most wonderful decision I have taken in my life. Ganga, I am so glad I’ve met you. You are fair, caring, giving and wonderful in every way. Your teaching style is calm, patient, interesting, invested and enthusiastic. I enjoyed every minute of every lecture we went through. The philosophy of yoga is the philosophy I was looking for when I was depressed and lost in a fog. I feel I have a good base to stand on and strong roots now. You've given me confidence and security to be myself and to be a teacher. I am incredibly thankful for meeting you and I feel immensely blessed that I was able to spend a month with you, taking in your teachings."
Lada Teleki, Milton Keynes, UK
Asanas – Yoga Postures
Two types of asana classes will be conducted:
- One daily asana practice class which will provide you with the opportunity to practice your asanas and will help you to develop a strong personal practice of asanas, and
- One daily teaching practice class devoted to understanding how to teach the asanas - you will start learning how to teach asanas from day two. of the course. Hence you will have plenty of time to practice teaching throughout the entire course.
The daily in-depth practice with individual corrections comprises:
- Effective warm-ups and how to incorporate them into the class - various categories of warm-ups
- Sun salutation and its variations
- 66 basic yoga postures
- 100 asana variations, from beginners level to advanced
- Postural alignment
- Guided deep relaxation and yoga nidra
- Release of blocked energy and deep healing
- How to develop flexibility and strength
- Helpful instructions for alignment in the asanas and how to self-correct as well as adjust students
The practical training (asana practice class) allows you to learn asana (Yoga Posture) in detail. You will understand the benefits of each and every asana on the physical, mental and spiritual level, besides that, you’ll also learn which asanas to prescribe to people with various physical and mental problems. Warm-ups, self-massage, meditation and relaxation techniques are also covered.
Teaching Methodology (teaching practice class) will prepare you to conduct a yoga class in real life with confidence; you will learn how to demonstrate and describe asanas, perform adjustments and assist the students in class and also help them to avoid injury during the practice of asanas.
Benefits of Asanas
Achieving emotional balance by regulating the glandular system
- Balanced mind
- Improved power of concentration
- Ridding the body of excess fat
- Enhanced physical fitness
- Relief of chronic ailments such as constipation, rheumatism, stomach complaints
- Massage of the inner organs
- Improved circulation
- Stabilised thyroid functions
- Muscles and joints remain youthful and supple into old age
Pranayama and Breathing exercises
- Expands breathing capacity
- Relaxes the nervous system
- Balances the two hemispheres of the brain
- Purifies the nadis (subtle energy channels)
- Stores energy in the chakras
- Calms the mind
- Ujjayi, Surya Bheda, Sitali, Sitkari, Bhramari
- The 10 Vayus (Pranas) and Pranayama
Kriyas, Bandhas and Mudras
- Neti, Nauli, Kapalabhati and tongue cleaning : classical yogic purification techniques for the nose, lungs, abdomen and tongue which will be demonstrated and practiced
- Bandhas: Jalandhara, Uddayana and Mula Bandha
- Bandhatraya Yoga: Mahamudra, Mahabandha and Mahavedha
- General Health rules
- Yogic secrets for a long life
- Lymphatic drainage massage
Yoga anatomy, physiology and Bio-Psychology
- Introduction to the major body systems
- The effects of yoga on: the cardiovascular system, respiration, digestion, skeletal and muscular systems, endocrine system
- The science of asanas: their physical and mental benefits
- Yoga and physical culture
- Yogic Diet, Nutrition and the Principles of Ayurveda
- Human Anatomy and Yoga Physiology are important aspects of yoga study, but another relatively unexplored aspect of yoga is Bio-Psychology. Bio-Psychology is the study of glands and hormones and their profound effects on all physical and mental (psychic) functions like growth, digestion, energy levels, emotions, etc.
The History of Yoga
- Various Definitions of Yoga
- A brief history of Tantra
- From Shiva to Krsna
- The Nath lineage
- Astavkra Muni
- The Kriya Yoga Lineage (Lahiri Mahasaya, Paramahansa Yogananda, etc.)
- Ramakrsna and Vivekananda
- Sri Tirumalai Krishnamacharya and his students
- Shrii Shrii Anandamurti
Karma and Reincarnation
- The law of action and reaction
- Karma and Samskara (Samskara means reactive momenta to past actions and is not to be confused with the term Samsara, which means the wheel of birth and rebirth)
- Life, death, rebirth and liberation
- Destiny, Prapatti Vada and self-effort
What qualities should a yoga teacher have? This module will focus on the qualities of a good yoga teacher with an emphasis on teaching methodology, e.g. how to communicate with students, how to demonstrate, observe the student in the class to avoid injury during practice of asana. We will also discuss the personal and professional ethics of a yoga teacher.
Besides you will receive sample templates for a Hatha, a Vinyasa and a Rajadhiraja class. You will also be given a fully designed beginner's course which you can apply in real life as soon as you have completed the course.
- How to teach the basic postures, breathing exercises and elementary meditation to beginners and intermediate students
- Setting up of a proper environment for class
- Mindful Sequencing
- Use of voice and presentation skills
- General pointers on teaching a class
- The Basic Rajadhiraja class
- The Dynamic Vinyasa class
- Beginners' Course
- Advanced Postures
- Yoga for Children
- Yoga for Older Citizens
- Yoga for Pregnancy
- Detailed correction workshops
- In the second half of the training course, participants will teach each other under the guidance of an experienced instructor
- Vegetarianism for ethical, spiritual and health reasons
- How diet affects the mind
- Proper balance of the main nutrients
- Ayurvedic principles of nutrition
- Healing effects of fasting
- Guide to meditation
- What is meditation
- Why meditate
- Experiences in meditation
- Mantras as powerful sound energy healing and purifying the chakras, nadis and body cells
- The science of mantra
- The 3 qualities a mantra must possess
- Mantra initiation (if desired)
- Ashtanga - the 8 limbs of yoga
- Ethics and moral principles
- Hatha Yoga
- Koshas – the five layers of the mind
- Kaoshikii and Tandava: dynamic yogic dances for women and men
- Concentration and meditation
- The six lessons of Sahaja Yoga
- 16 points of yogic life
- Understanding Kundalini Shakti
- Macrocosm and Microcosm
- The Tantric theory of creation
- Nirguna and Saguna Brahma
- Shiva and Shakti
- The 7 Chakras
- The awakening and raising of Kundalini Shakti
- Kirtan: devotional chanting of Sanskrit mantras
- Chanting opens the heart and purifies the mind. With daily chanting, you develop a strong feeling of devotion and a very pure inner vibration. In devotional chanting correct pronunciation, devotional attitude and awareness of meaning (ideation) are all-important.
- Creativity and artistic expression for spiritual development and upliftment
- Mandala Art workshop - you will create your own mandala in this workshop
- Bhajans (devotional songs)
- Prabhat Samgiita (devotional music for mental expansion)
- Indian Classical Dance
- Karma Yoga in the Bhagavad Giita: relinquishing the attachment to the fruits of our actions
- Karma yoga is also the practice of selfless service. It maintains physical and mental health, counteracts depression and refines your mind and heart.
- The spirit of service in daily life
- The law of cause and effect
- Samsara, the wheel of birth and death - exploring how Karma yoga allows every person to be free here and now
- Yoga philosophy
- The History, Science and Philosophy of Tantra
- The Intuitional Science of the Vedas
- Contemporary Yoga philosophy: Brahmachakra
- Conquest of death and immortality
- Krsna and the Bhagavad Giita
- Bhagavad Dharma and the concept of dharmaas given by Shiva
- Considered one of the greatest spiritual texts of the world, the Bhagavad Gita contains subtle and profound teachings and has a universality which embraces every aspect of human activity. It symbolises the solution to the eternal struggle between the spiritual and the material in every human being
- Study of the text and commentaries
The Business of Teaching Yoga
- Secrets to becoming an exceptional yoga teacher
- Marketing yourself and your services
- How to set up a Successful Yoga Teaching Business
- How to Establish a Powerful Personal Practice
- How to set up classes
- 06:30 Chanting, Meditation & Pranayama
- 07:30 Asana Practice
- 09:00 Fruit and Tea
- 09:45 Anatomy and physiology/workshop/lecture
- 10:45 Karma Yoga
- 11:15 Workshop/Lecture
- 12:30 Lunch
- 13:00 Main lecture (philosophy/theory/history)
- 14:15 snack and leisure/self-study
- 17:00 Asanas, asana techniques & Teaching Methodology
- 18:45 Satsang (meditation, kirtan, chanting)
- 19:30 Dinner
- 20:00 Free time and study
- 22:00 Lights out
The yoga teacher training on the isle of Losinj is held in a stunning villa, in a quiet residential area, minutes away from the beach. You may be lucky and spot dolphins in the bay during an early morning stroll.
The villa is situated in a pine forest offering views of the sparking blue sea. It is spacious and full of light and the rooms are of a good size and beautifully decorated. It has all modern amenities and is surrounded by lush, delightful gardens in which an abundance of Mediterranean and subtropical plants and flowers are flourishing. Yoga will be practiced outdoors on the largest of the four terraces, whenever the weather permits, or alternatively in the space indoors.
The in-depth classes and wholesome yoga practice is complemented by the incredibly peaceful and healing atmosphere of the island. People who appreciate breathtaking scenery and incredibly beautiful sunsets return again and again to this very special place. Accommodation is offered in a self-contained double bed studio-apartment, and double bed rooms with shared bathrooms.
Every bedroom has a stunning view of the Adriatic Mediterranean or else the well kept, lush surrounding gardens.
The vegetarian food will be nutritious as well as delicious, drawing inspiration from the Croatian coastal diet which is one of the healthiest and most delicious in the world.
How to get to Mali Losinj?
We request all course participants to book their return flights to Zagreb. We will arrange an airport pick up by taxi which will cost £50 one way, hence an additional £100 (for the return transfer) will be added to the course fee. The airport transfer will be scheduled on the day of arrival at 15.00, hence all are advised to make sure the arrival time of their flights in Zagreb is no later than 13.30. On the day of departure the taxi will arrive at the venue at 7.00 o’clock in the morning to take all course participants back to Zagreb, hence you are advised to schedule your return flight after 13.00 o’clock in the afternoon.
If you are travelling from London you can book flights with Croatia Airlines, British Airlines and Easy Jet.
We request that you get a travel insurance and please make sure that you have an international medical insurance in case of an emergency. We will not be able to take any responsibility or cover any costs for medical treatment.
Apart from twice daily yoga classes, our trainees will get a chance to swim in the sparkling sea and study using one of the 3 terraces while taking in the sun. Some may try out snorkelling to meet the local sea life and we will every once in a while, at least one day a week, take an exhilarating hike on one of the many footpaths across the island, exploring local history or strolling to the little town nearby. We will in addition organise an excursion to the surrounding islands travelling by boat and passing through the dolphin habitat.
We organize two excursions, the first one is to Lubenice, one among the 15 most beautiful beaches in the world and a village that dates back in history 4000 years. On this excursion we visit a distillery, producing home-made essential oils, soaps, olive oil and purely organic cosmetics. A highlight is a visit to the blue grotta or cave where you swim through a tunnel to get into a cathedral-like space and find yourself in bluish waters reflecting light from outside in a surreal way.
On the second excursion we spend a day visiting other islands and secluded beaches by boat as we traverse the dolphin habitat (and if lucky spot some dolphins too).
- Yoga mat
- Money: It is best to exchange cash to Kuna, the Croatian currency, at the airport, and there are also ATMs within a 15 minute drive in downtown Mali Losinj. You would want to have some funds on your arrival, which you can purchase at your airport of departure. For the up to date exchange rate seewww.xe.com
- Electrical adaptors: Mali Losinj operates on 220V, the 2 prong European plugs, which are different from the UK ones, so you may want to bring an electrical converter plug.
- Towel: We provide room towels at the retreat site but ask that you do not take them to the beach.
- Earplugs: If you are sensitive sleeper, you may want to bring them along.
- Mosquito repellent
- Alarm clock
Also remember to bring:
Meditation cushion, flip flops, trainers, writing pad, alarm clock, beach towel, private toiletry items.
A reading list will be sent to you upon registration
The course will be taught in English.
Dates include arrival and departure days
- 3 and a half weeks of theoretical and practical training in all aspects of yoga
- Internationally recognised certificate accredited by Yoga Alliance
The cost of this course includes administration, tuition and a teacher's manual. Students must bring a mat for asanas and toiletries. Towels are provided (not to be taken outdoors). We regret that it is not possible to make refunds or issue credits on this course. Bank transfers and card payments are accepted. A valid Travel Health Insurance policy must be shown upon arrival.
The initial deposit of £400 will reserve your place. The full remainder will have to be paid latest 8 weeks before the commencement of the course. In some cases arrangements can be made by contract to pay in 3 installments (please, let us know well in advance if you require this option, i.e. this option needs to be requested at the time of submitting the application and cannot be accommodated for if it has not be requested in the application). Please note: Under no circumstances will there be refunds or transfer of fees after the course has begun and within 6 weeks before commencement. No transfer of fees to another course for any reason except for bereavement that must be proven providing us with legal documents.
We reserve the right to cancel the training in which case we will refund the entire fee for the teacher training paid to us.
Himalayan Yoga Institute
86-90 Paul Street
Tel: +44 (0)7969157994
Why You Will Love This Training
The 200-hour training as designed by the Himalayan Yoga Institute is a residential teacher training which will allow you to fully immerse yourself in the lifestyle and practices of authentic yoga. It will allow you to find your innermost Self, so you can effectively start healing from within. It will enable you to develop your connection to your own deepest wisdom, your inner knowing and intuition. And most importantly it will provide you with tools you can use beyond the scope of the training for self-development, spiritual self-inquiry, as well as integration of the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual aspects of your being. It will transform limiting beliefs and perceptions that may be holding you back into a joyous affirmation of life, while deepening your understanding of your true life’s purpose and role in the universe. The teachings are rooted in the philosophy of Yoga and Tantra, meeting you wherever you may be in life, enabling you to unleash your greatest potential.
Yet theory and philosophy only offer a framework within which you may explore the depth of your love, joy and longing for a meaningful life and contribution to the world. For nearly 4 weeks you will be living, breathing and embracing all facets of the yogic lifestyle. You will also experience the beauty of connecting with other like-minded people and find friends for life.
Training designed according to the ancient gurukula educational system
Your daily life and personal practice will be integrated with your training and preparation to become a yoga teacher, while living under the same roof with your teachers and fellow students. For nearly 4 intense weeks of ashram living you will strengthen your own yoga practice through self-discipline, while probing into the nature of mind, body and spirit.
You will build a firm foundation of yoga practice, while gaining the skills of teaching others intuitively and with confidence.
Our 200h YTT will expand your horizons and your consciousness. It is designed not only to make you into the best yoga teacher you can be, but also into a true yogi and yogini, so that you may embody what you teach. You will experience a profound rewiring of your body, clearing of mind and purification of your emotions.
Our training courses meet and exceed the Yoga Alliance standards’ guidelines and you will receive a thorough understanding of asana, mudra, bandha, teaching methodology, theory, yoga history, modern yoga, Patanjali’s 8 limbs, the 3 main branches of yoga, mantra, meditation and tantric philosophy. Asanas will be explored through our signature Rajadhiraja Yoga Method and its application to Hatha, Vinyasa and Yin yoga. You will also have an opportunity to experience authentic Bhakti yoga and Kirtan ceremony.
You will receive more than 10 Signature Templates for asana classes (including a complete course curriculum for beginners), predesigned and ready to go, while also learning about the creative act of sequencing yoga classes so you can design your own classes in the future. You will have a chance to start teaching simple asanas from day one and then progressively attend to teaching classes as the course advances. Future teachers will have plenty opportunity to practice teaching and receive feedback, so they can polish their teaching skills. You will leave the training confident to teach yoga classes with heart, authenticity and passion. Even if you have no plans to teach yoga upon completion of the training, our experience shows that participants come away with joyful inspiration not just regarding their yoga practice but for living life to the fullest and manifesting their dreams. Eventually, you will have great clarity about your greatest gifts and talents, that are seeking to find expression. We empower our students to become leaders in their communities and share not just yoga but their wisdom and insight with others.
You will come away with a powerful personal practice that will balance your mind, awaken your chakras and help you firmly establish your life’s path. Your life’s calling will then manifest in ways, more wonderful, than you ever expected.
Double room £2,920
(2 people, same gender sharing a room)
Fee includes all classes and training, a teacher's manual, meals, tea, snacks, water and accommodation.
Flights, airport transfers and excursions are excluded.
It is recommended to purchase a travel health insurance policy through your travel agency.
A deposit of £400 will reserve your place.