200h Yoga Teacher Training in Birmingham, UK
Highly exclusive and personalized 200h teacher training in
7 Days Intensive plus 4 weekends of training between the 29th March & 3rd May 2020
Only 1 LAST PLACE Available! Prices are going up on the 1st of March. Enroll now with the current price.
We accept a maximum of only 4 students on this training course, which allows for a highly tailored and personalized approach. With less than a handful of students learning is maximized and the interaction between teacher and students highly personalized.
The training course is spread over three calendar months and takes place at Ganga Devi’s residential yoga studio in Handsworth, Birmingham, very close to the Sandwell Country Park.
Initially, there will be a 7-days intensive, followed by weekend training sessions.
Accommodation and meals are optional during the 7-days intensive and cost an additional £400, on top of the course fee, for those opting to include food and lodging.
For 7 days you can be fully immersed in your practice, away from the distractions of daily life. It’s an opportunity to authentically live a yogic lifestyle.
The remaining training will be taught over a period of several weekends. During the training on weekends breakfast will be provided and is included in the course fee.
The course schedule is as follows:
1. 29th March - 4th of April 2020
2. 11th, 12th of April 2020
3. 18th, 19th of April 2020
4. 25th, 26th of April 2020
5. 1st, 2nd, 3rd May 2020
A unique feature of the training is our approach to asana practice: The asanas are practiced and taught in the Rajadhiraja tradition of Tantra yoga, offering ancient knowledge on the deeply transformational effect of asanas with regards to our hormonal and chakra system - rarely taught in other yoga schools. You will learn how you can balance your endocrine glands, your hormones, your chakras and your emotions in order to experience a profound sense of well-being and happiness. You will receive detailed insight into the practice of more than 60 asanas, along with an in depth understanding of good alignment, benefits, contraindications, hands-on-adjustments and special applications. You will also learn how to use these asanas in a variety of yoga styles, such as Hatha, Vinyasa and Yin yoga.
Another unique feature is lifelong personalized mentoring offered by Ganga Devi, the principal teacher on this course, to those who wish to receive guidance after the completion of their training. Ganga has taught and practiced yoga and meditation for more than thirty years. She has also trained and performed as a professional dancer of Bharatanatyam – the classical dance of India. Her philosophy classes are captivating and fascinating, as she skillfully simplifies complex subjects, teaching them in an down-to-Earth manner, while weaving in personal experience and storytelling.
She passionately uses her special gift of bringing people together in ceremony to connect, sing, dance, heal and release. With her intricate knowledge about the use of breath she skilfully uses a unique system of breathing and breath retention when adapting yoga as a therapy for body, mind and soul.
Ganga is also a talented musician and nada yogini (sound healer), sharing bhajans, kirtan and Indian raga music to complement the deeply transformational work she undertakes on each of the 200h programmes. In addition she offers personalized instruction in meditation and an individually tailored daily yoga routine for you to take back home and continue your yoga journey with a unique set of asanas and other techniques, adapted to your specific needs
Highlights of the 200h Yoga Teacher Training
- We maintain small class sizes for maximum personalized attention.
At the end of the training you will be centred, calm, superbly inspired, beaming with joy and empowered to skilfully guide others into the sacred landscape of their bodies, minds, and hearts, and teach powerful, uplifting, and intelligent classes infused with joy.
- International 200hour Yoga Alliance certification
- Receive personalized instruction in meditation and receive a daily routine of asana prescription individually tailored just for you, that will allow you to advance your practice back home
- Learn the secrets of Tantric Rajadhiraja yoga, a long forgotten, yet highly powerful approach to yoga, resulting in perfect hormonal balance, which will completely rewire your body, clear your mind and awaken your soul
- Our yoga instructor certification courses are of outstanding quality, marked by excellence and attention to detail. They are the most thorough and comprehensive ones you will find
- You will start practicing and learning how to teach asanas from day 1 of the training
- The training is not only suitable for aspiring yoga teachers but also for those who simply want to learn more about yoga and develop a stronger self-practice
- There is limited space on all our courses.
Our approach to teaching is experiential so your learning and understanding will develop as your practice deepens. You will have time between training sessions to allow the knowledge and experience to be fully integrated and your confidence to build. You will learn the fundamentals of a balanced yoga practice, asana, pranayama, chanting, meditation and the science and philosophy that provide the framework for the practices.
Asanas – Yoga Postures
Two types of asana classes will be conducted:
- One daily asana practice class which will provide you with the opportunity to practice your asanas and will help you to develop a strong personal practice of asanas, and
- One daily teaching practice class devoted to understanding how to teach the asanas - you will start learning how to teach asanas from day two. of the course. Hence you will have plenty of time to practice teaching throughout the entire course.
The daily in-depth practice with individual corrections comprises:
- Effective warm-ups and how to incorporate them into the class - various categories of warm-ups
- Sun salutation and its variations
- 66 basic yoga postures
- 100 asana variations, from beginners level to advanced
- Postural alignment
- Guided deep relaxation and yoga nidra
- Release of blocked energy and deep healing
- How to develop flexibility and strength
- Helpful instructions for alignment in the asanas and how to self-correct as well as adjust students
The practical training (asana practice class) allows you to learn asana (Yoga Posture) in detail. You will understand the benefits of each and every asana on the physical, mental and spiritual level, besides that, you’ll also learn which asanas to prescribe to people with various physical and mental problems. Warm-ups, self-massage, meditation and relaxation techniques are also covered.
Teaching Methodology (teaching practice class) will prepare you to conduct a yoga class in real life with confidence; you will learn how to demonstrate and describe asanas, perform adjustments and assist the students in class and also help them to avoid injury during the practice of asanas.
Benefits of Asanas
Achieving emotional balance by regulating the glandular system
- Balanced mind
- Improved power of concentration
- Ridding the body of excess fat
- Enhanced physical fitness
- Relief of chronic ailments such as constipation, rheumatism, stomach complaints
- Massage of the inner organs
- Improved circulation
- Stabilised thyroid functions
- Muscles and joints remain youthful and supple into old age
Pranayama and Breathing Exercises
- Expands breathing capacity
- Relaxes the nervous system
- Balances the two hemispheres of the brain
- Purifies the nadis (subtle energy channels)
- Stores energy in the chakras
- Calms the mind
- Ujjayi, Surya Bheda, Sitali, Sitkari, Bhramari
- The 10 Vayus (Pranas) and Pranayama
Kriyas, Bandhas and Mudras
- Neti, Nauli, Kapalabhati and tongue cleaning : classical yogic purification techniques for the nose, lungs, abdomen and tongue which will be demonstrated and practiced
- Bandhas: Jalandhara, Uddayana and Mula Bandha
- Bandhatraya Yoga: Mahamudra, Mahabandha and Mahavedha
- General Health rules
- Yogic secrets for a long life
- Lymphatic drainage massage
Yoga Anatomy, Physiology and Bio-Psychology
- Introduction to the major body systems
- The effects of yoga on: the cardiovascular system, respiration, digestion, skeletal and muscular systems, endocrine system
- The science of asanas: their physical and mental benefits
- Yoga and physical culture
- Yogic Diet, Nutrition and the Principles of Ayurveda
- Human Anatomy and Yoga Physiology are important aspects of yoga study, but another relatively unexplored aspect of yoga is Bio-Psychology. Bio-Psychology is the study of glands and hormones and their profound effects on all physical and mental (psychic) functions like growth, digestion, energy levels, emotions, etc.
The History of Yoga
- Various Definitions of Yoga
- A brief history of Tantra
- From Shiva to Krsna
- The Nath lineage
- Astavkra Muni
- The Kriya Yoga Lineage (Lahiri Mahasaya, Paramahansa Yogananda, etc.)
- Ramakrsna and Vivekananda
- Sri Tirumalai Krishnamacharya and his students
- Pattabhi Jois
- T.K.V. Desikachar
- Shrii Shrii Anandamurti
Karma and Reincarnation
- The law of action and reaction
- Karma and Samskara (Samskara means reactive momenta to past actions and is not to be confused with the term Samsara, which means the wheel of birth and rebirth)
- Life, death, rebirth and liberation
- Destiny, Prapatti Vada and self-effort
What qualities should a yoga teacher have? This module will focus on the qualities of a good yoga teacher with an emphasis on teaching methodology, e.g. how to communicate with students, how to demonstrate, observe the student in the class to avoid injury during practice of asana. We will also discuss the personal and professional ethics of a yoga teacher.
Besides you will receive sample templates for a Hatha, a Vinyasa and a Rajadhiraja class. You will also be given a fully designed beginner's course which you can apply in real life as soon as you have completed the course.
- How to teach the basic postures, breathing exercises and elementary meditation to beginners and intermediate students
- Setting up of a proper environment for class
- Mindful Sequencing
- Use of voice and presentation skills
- General pointers on teaching a class
- The Basic Rajadhiraja class
- The Dynamic Vinyasa class
- Beginners' Course
- Advanced Postures
- Yoga for Children
- Yoga for Older Citizens
- Yoga for Pregnancy
- Detailed correction workshops
- In the second half of the training course, participants will teach each other under the guidance of an experienced instructor
- Vegetarianism for ethical, spiritual and health reasons
- How diet affects the mind
- Proper balance of the main nutrients
- Ayurvedic principles of nutrition
- Healing effects of fasting
- Guide to meditation
- What is meditation
- Why meditate
- Experiences in meditation
- Mantras as powerful sound energy healing and purifying the chakras, nadis and body cells
- The science of mantra
- The 3 qualities a mantra must possess
- Mantra initiation (if desired)
- Ashtanga - the 8 limbs of yoga
- Ethics and moral principles
- Hatha Yoga
- Koshas – the five layers of the mind
- Kaoshikii and Tandava: dynamic yogic dances for women and men
- Concentration and meditation
- The six lessons of Sahaja Yoga
- 16 points of yogic life
- Understanding Kundalini Shakti
- Macrocosm and Microcosm
- The Tantric theory of creation
- Nirguna and Saguna Brahma
- Shiva and Shakti
- The 7 Chakras
- The awakening and raising of Kundalini Shakti
- Kirtan: devotional chanting of Sanskrit mantras
- Chanting opens the heart and purifies the mind. With daily chanting, you develop a strong feeling of devotion and a very pure inner vibration. In devotional chanting correct pronunciation, devotional attitude and awareness of meaning (ideation) are all-important.
- Creativity and artistic expression for spiritual development and upliftment
- Mandala Art workshop - you will create your own mandala in this workshop
- Bhajans (devotional songs)
- Prabhat Samgiita (devotional music for mental expansion)
- Indian Classical Dance
- Karma Yoga in the Bhagavad Giita: relinquishing the attachment to the fruits of our actions
- Karma yoga is also the practice of selfless service. It maintains physical and mental health, counteracts depression and refines your mind and heart.
- The spirit of service in daily life
- The law of cause and effect
- Samsara, the wheel of birth and death - exploring how Karma yoga allows every person to be free here and now.
- Yoga philosophy
- The History, Science and Philosophy of Tantra
- The Intuitional Science of the Vedas
- Contemporary Yoga philosophy: Brahmachakra
- Conquest of death and immortality
The Business of Teaching Yoga
- Secrets to becoming an exceptional yoga teacher
- Marketing yourself and your services
- How to set up a Successful Yoga Teaching Business
- How to Establish a Powerful Personal Practice
- How to set up classes
Every morning will start with contemplation, pranayama and daily asana; the objective being, to help you develop your own self practice.
Daily Schedule during the 7 day intensive
7.00 Meditation, chanting, pranayama
8.00 Yoga asanas
9.30 Tea break
12.30 Lunch Break
16.00 Detailed Asana class
18.00 Meditation, Chanting
Why You will Love this Training
The 200-hour training as designed by the Himalayan Yoga Institute is a residential teacher training which will allow you to fully immerse yourself in the lifestyle and practices of authentic yoga. It will allow you to find your innermost Self, so you can effectively start healing from within. It will enable you to develop your connection to your own deepest wisdom, your inner knowing and intuition. And most importantly it will provide you with tools you can use beyond the scope of the training for self-development, spiritual self-inquiry, as well as integration of the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual aspects of your being. It will transform limiting beliefs and perceptions that may be holding you back into a joyous affirmation of life, while deepening your understanding of your true life’s purpose and role in the universe. The teachings are rooted in the philosophy of Yoga and Tantra, meeting you wherever you may be in life, enabling you to unleash your greatest potential.
Yet theory and philosophy only offer a framework within which you may explore the depth of your love, joy and longing for a meaningful life and contribution to the world.
Over a period of several weeks you will strengthen your own yoga practice through self-discipline, while probing into the nature of mind, body and spirit.
You will build a firm foundation of yoga practice, while gaining the skills of teaching others intuitively and with confidence.
Our 200h YTT will expand your horizons and your consciousness. It is designed not only to make you into the best yoga teacher you can be, but also into a true yogi and yogini, so that you may embody what you teach. You will experience a profound rewiring of your body, clearing of mind and purification of your emotions.
Our training courses meet and exceed the Yoga Alliance standards’ guidelines and you will receive a thorough understanding of asana, mudra, bandha, teaching methodology, theory, yoga history, modern yoga, Patanjali’s 8 limbs, the 3 main branches of yoga, mantra, meditation and tantric philosophy. Asanas will be explored through our signature Rajadhiraja Yoga Method and its application to Hatha, Vinyasa and Yin yoga. You will also have an opportunity to experience authentic Bhakti yoga and Kirtan ceremony.
You will receive more than 10 Signature Templates for asana classes (including a complete course curriculum for beginners), predesigned and ready to go, while also learning about the creative act of sequencing yoga classes so you can design your own classes in the future. You will have a chance to start teaching simple asanas from day one and then progressively attend to teaching classes as the course advances. Future teachers will have plenty opportunity to practice teaching and receive feedback, so they can polish their teaching skills. You will leave the training confident to teach yoga classes with heart, authenticity and passion. Even if you have no plans to teach yoga upon completion of the training, our experience shows that participants come away with joyful inspiration not just regarding their yoga practice but for living life to the fullest and manifesting their dreams. Eventually, you will have great clarity about your greatest gifts and talents, that are seeking to find expression. We empower our students to become leaders in their communities and share not just yoga but their wisdom and insight with others.
You will come away with a powerful personal practice that will balance your mind, awaken your chakras and help you firmly establish your life’s path. Your life’s calling will then manifest in ways, more wonderful, than you ever expected.
Optional Accommodation and Meals
Accommodation will be in double twin bedrooms with two people sharing a room. The bathroom is shared.
All meals are plant-based, vegan based on the yogic sattvic diet.
A reading list will be sent to you upon registration
The course will be taught in English.
The cost of this course includes administration, tuition and a teacher's manual. Students must bring a mat for asanas and toiletries. Towels are provided (not to be taken outdoors). We regret that it is not possible to make refunds or issue credits on this course. Bank transfers and card payments are accepted. A valid Travel Health Insurance policy must be shown upon arrival.
The initial deposit of £400 will reserve your place. The full remainder will have to be paid latest 8 weeks before the commencement of the course. In some cases arrangements can be made by contract to pay in 3 installments (please, let us know well in advance if you require this option, i.e. this option needs to be requested at the time of submitting the application and cannot be accommodated for if it has not be requested in the application). Please note: Under no circumstances will there be refunds or transfer of fees after the course has begun and within 6 weeks before commencement. No transfer of fees to another course for any reason except for bereavement that must be proven providing us with legal documents.
We reserve the right to cancel the training in which case we will refund the entire fee for the teacher training paid to us.
£2100 – training and classes (accommodation and meals excluded)
7 nights accommodation in a twin room and 3 meals a day for the 7 days intensive: an additional £400 (a total of £2500)
For those who will stay at the residence during the 7 days intensive, please note that the arrival date and time is the 22nd of November between 17.00 and 20.00 o’clock.